2017 awards eligibility criteria
The Trust welcomes programme entries on any of the world religions – and we encourage applications from news, current affairs, drama, music, arts, children’s and comedy genres – as well as from specifically ‘religious’ commissions.
There are 4 award categories: Television, Radio, Children’s and Interview.
Categories and Eligibility
The Television Award and the Radio Award: entries in either of these two categories should be broadcast programmes which explore subjects of particular interest or concern to religious communities, as well as having broad appeal to a general audience.
The Children’s Award: entries should be broadcast content (inc Online) aimed at under 18s, which enables better understanding of religion and/or helps young people explore current moral or ethical issues.
The Interview Award: entries may be from Online, TV and Radio (National or Local) and should consist of an interview which explores religion, spirituality or ethics from a personal perspective.
- Entries must have been broadcast for the first time between 1 January and 31 December 2016 and should be ‘as transmitted’ (e.g. no ‘highlights’ or compilations).
- No more than two programmes or episodes of any one series or strand should be submitted in any single category. Each episode will count as a separate entry and must be submitted separately.
- Individual programmes can only be entered in one category. If you’re not sure which category is most appropriate for your entry – please contact us.
- Entries should generally have been made by a UK (or ROI) production team and transmitted by a recognised broadcast or online channel in the UK (or ROI) and publically available to a UK audience. This includes video or audio made for web channels having a broad variety of editorial content – i.e. not promotional films/audio for single issue websites.
- Non-English content may be entered, but in order that it can be judged against the other entrants, it must be either dubbed or subtitled in English.
- Submission of any entry acknowledges the right of The Sandford St Martin Trust to use the programme as required in connection with judging, promotion and presentation of the Awards.
- If you have any questions about eligibility, please email: Colette.Cunningham@sandfordawards.org.uk or telephone: 0207 898 1796
The Sandford St Martin judging panels will be looking for:
- Programmes that best fulfil the criteria for their entry category, with a premium on boldness, originality and impact in the central editorial idea – with content likely to have strong overall appeal to the target audience.
- As appropriate for the format and genre, they will be looking for clear narrative structure, memorable presenters and contributors who enlighten as well as entertain and engage the viewer or listener.
- Winning programmes should demonstrate high quality craft skills across the production process – sound, pictures, commentary, script, photography, directing and editing – consistent with the genre and budget.
How to enter
The 2017 Awards are open for entry between 16 November 2016 and 3 February 2017. Please complete one entry form for each programme entered.
For each entry, please include:
1. A copy of the programme:
- Files up to 5mb can be sent as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. For larger files up to 1GB please send via WeTransfer. Anything larger than 1GB should be sent on a labelled USB stick to the office address below.
- Please send audio files in mp3 format.
- Please send a low bit-rate copy of video files. (We find 1-2Mb/s for H264/mp4 files are usually fine). If your programme is shortlisted, we’ll ask for a high quality HD copy later.
- If your entry is available to view online, you can simply send us a web-link (and password if required) that we can share with our judges. BUT PLEASE NOTE: Programmes on sites such as BBC iPlayer or All4 have expiry dates and may not be available for judging. If there is any chance access to your programme will expire before June 2017, you MUST submit your programme as a digital file.
2. Your entry form:
Postal entries should be sent to:
The Sandford St Martin Trust
Room 202, Church House
Great Smith Street,
London, SW1P 3AZ